Readers' Questions: The Shingles Vaccine - NYTimes.com

I didn't realize how lucky I was, more than a year ago, when I simply trotted over to my family doctor's office and got vaccinated against shingles. Having seen too many friends, younger and older, suffering with this painful disease, I considered immunization one of the benefits of turning 60, the age at which the vaccine is recommended. Happily, I didn't have to wait: My doctor had a supply on hand, and my insurance paid for the shot.
The varicella zoster virus, which causes shingles, as seen through a colored transmission electron micrograph.Heather Davies/Getty Images The varicella zoster virus, which causes shingles, as seen through a colored transmission electron micrograph.

I wondered why only 10 percent of my over-60 peers have done likewise, and when I started researching the reasons for a post on the subject, I learned that often it's not so easy to protect oneself.

My friends' experiences with shingles had led me to ask for the vaccine, for instance. But neither doctors nor the manufacturer nor public health agencies have done a particularly effective job of alerting the vulnerable population that this shot is available and effective. That's largely because the manufacturer, Merck, has been unable to provide a reliable supply of the vaccine (brand name Zostavax), first introduced in 2006, for long stretches of time. I just happened to hit the doctor's office between the months-long shortages.

It also helped that my doctor is a family practitioner. The vaccine has to be kept frozen. Family practitioners also immunize children, and because certain pediatric vaccines are also stored frozen, my doctor had a freezer in her office. Internists and other doctors often don't. So the stars aligned.

But many readers haven't been so fortunate in their pursuit of the shingles vaccine, and they have offered a litany of questions and complaints. So let's return to the subject of protecting ourselves against the nasty varicella zoster virus, which causes chickenpox and then lies dormant in the nervous system until it reactivates in adulthood.

Scientists can't yet tell us why that happens, or why some people never get shingles and others get it repeatedly. But they do know that each of us has a one-in-three chance, on average, of getting shingles in our lifetimes.

More ...

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/readers-questions-the-shingles-vaccine

2 comments:

  1. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was SHINGLES. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr. OSE herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of SHINGLES. wow"" it's great, Dr. OSE has finally cured me. Anyone living with SHINGLES contact Dr. OSE for natural treatment.
    His email address: dr.oseherbalspellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    Herpes is a serious and recurrent condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by DR JAMES , but the best way to fight against herpes is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbalist who cures people of HIV  virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases,Shingles,MS,Bullous Pemphigoid,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, infections, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE  Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete