An Eye-Opening Adventure in Socialized Medicine | NeuroTribes

I woke up in a rented room in London in the middle of the night, feeling like my eyes had been packed with hot sand and the lids were somehow glued together. When I pried them apart, the whites of my eyes were an angry crimson.

Maybe it was nothing. I'd been told that the pollen counts in the UK this summer are sky high. A raging heat wave in a city that doesn't really do air-conditioning (like my gloriously fogbound town of San Francisco) didn't seem to be helping. But when I squinted in the bathroom mirror, I saw a greenish-white discharge collecting around my tear ducts. This looked like more than a bad case of hay fever.

Then I remembered that one of the cognitive psychologists I'd come to London to interview mentioned that she'd recently had a bad eye infection. I Googled "conjunctivitis." It dawned on me that the bottle of water I drank in her office may have been a mixed blessing.

But what to do? I was far from home with lots of work to do and no idea how to see a doctor locally. Thankfully, I didn't have any appointments for a couple of days, and have health insurance from Kaiser-Permanente through my spouse's employer. But I knew that getting reimbursed for treatment by a doctor outside the Kaiser network can be complex; what about an out-of-country doctor?

When I dialed the 800 number on my Kaiser card to find out what to do, an automated voice from AT&T informed me that I would be billed at the standard international calling rate of $1 a minute. After navigating a maze of call-center prompts, I sat on hold for 15 minutes.

The first Kaiser rep who took my call fired off a barrage of questions. Was I experiencing "blind spots, double vision, floaters, hallucinations, or any other problems" with my vision? Yes — the goopy discharge from my tear ducts was making it hard to see, and I said so. But that turned out to be the wrong answer. The Kaiser rep simply repeated her question in a more brittle tone of voice and added, "Just answer yes or no."

Yes, I was having problem with my vision, but not "double vision, floaters, or hallucinations." Judging by the structure of the question, I suspected that it was designed to fish for a different sort of problem than the one I had, such as evidence of entopic phenomena that might indicate something awry inside the eyeball, or even in the brain. I didn't want to end up shunted onto the wrong track in the voicemail maze. "Floaters, hallucinations, and double-vision, no," I explained, "but problems with my vision yes, because the discharge from my tear ducts…"

"Sir," she cut me off sternly. "These are yes or no questions. Answer either yes or no or I will not be able to help you." I furiously tried to calculate which falsely binary oversimplifications were the right ones.

More ...

http://blogs.plos.org/neurotribes/2011/07/12/an-eye-opening-adventure-in-socialized-medicine/

5 comments:

  1. Excellent post you have shared with their about the medical. The man who is one of a kind in connection to the following men same like this model I can discover in this article. They http://www.personalstatementwriters.com/services/residency-personal-statement/residency-personal-statement-for-neurosurgery/ site perform so well with the exceptional ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are a master in your field so you trust on your abilities and others also do in https://radiology.residencypersonalstatements.net/interventional-radiology-residency-personal-statement-writing-guide/ then there comes the time that how you care about others you love most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are places in the world where you need to be more specific and make your decision accordingly to make it possible that http://www.residencyapplicationpersonalstatement.com/our-residency-personal-statement-services/anesthesiology-residency-personal-statement/ is doing the best for the rest of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also enjoy the eye opening adventure with this blog of the medicine and can find the real social site for the best pattern. You can like this post with the new area of the fun zone. You can enjoy the psychology of the great time here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing, This article is about the activity of a teacher in guidance. Teacher accept a gigantic activity for the future and headway of understudies and subsequently enhancement of that http://www.residencypersonalstatement.biz/programs/ site explicit establishment that prompts a strong nation.

    ReplyDelete